Friday, September 21, 2012

Let's Read Plays!

Fanda and I are hosting this event called Let's Read Plays, which is going to run from November 2012 to October 2013. Oh yes, a yearlong with classic plays!


In the event, everyone who is participating will be reading at least one classic play each month. For the complete information about this event, please go HERE.

So why plays, you might wonder, as the first classic club event I dare to co-host? The main reason is; I love reading plays.

The first play I read was the one from an Indonesian writer Idrus. It was Kejahatan Membalas Dendam, taken from his book Dari Ave Maria ke Jalan Lain ke Roma, that hooked me with plays. Unfortunately, not until recently I recalled the fun of reading plays. Thanks to Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream (or should I say thanks to Puck? :D), I remember how interesting plays are.

If you take a look at my 2012 reading list, you'll find that once I started reading one play I could hardly stop. But I had to restrain myself from reading too many plays before this event starts. I need to save some up in my sleeves, yes? :D

What makes a play interesting for me is its sense of exaggerating things. How eating muffins can be extremely hilarious in The Importance of Being Earnest, or a silly misunderstanding between separated twins can make an engaging story in The Comedy of Errors. Events and dialogues are absurd and exaggerated, but those are the fun parts of plays.

Another thing I like about plays is they are rarely more than 300 pages long. So short that I can finish one a day without being too tired.

I'm so excited with this Let's Read Plays event. Join in! I hope you'll be having fun too!

2 comments:

  1. What plays you will read for this event? Share please.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An Ideal Husband, King Lear and Oidipus are already on the list.
      But I'll make another post for the complete list ;)

      Delete